Star Trek, Ghostbusters, Star Wars Fan Clubs Among Special Groups At Austin Comic Con This Weekend
NEW YORK and AUSTIN, Texas, November 8, 2011 – More than 20 organizations from across Texas, from favorite genre movie and TV show fan clubs, podcasters and charities will be attending this weekend’s Wizard World Austin Comic Con, Friday through Sunday at the Austin Convention Center. From cosplayers like the 501st Garrison/Central Texas, Lone Star Jedi and DFW Ghostbusters to podcasters such as the Down the Road Show and WGTR Radio to worthy charities like SCARE for a CURE and PurrKayla, various groups will be on site, meeting attendees and enriching the Wizard World experience.
Some groups that fans will run into on site include:
– 501st Garrison/Central Texas Squad, a chapter of the national organization which seeks to promote interest in Star Wars through the building and wearing of quality costumes, and to facilitate the use of these costumes for Star Wars-related events as well as contributions to the local community through costumed charity and volunteer work.
Airship Isabella, a group of artists, performers, and visionaries who have bound together to create characters who explore the boundaries of the Steampunk community and a menagerie of worlds to put them in.
– Ark Angel, whose “meetings” range from actual meetings of a business type to anything from watching movies at one of the Crew’s houses, camping trips, laser tag outings, bowling, LAN parties, role-playing games, or just sitting around a table playing games of all types.
– D20 Girls Project, a semi-unique business that combines Social Networking, Talent Management, and Event Services. D20 also arranges with manufacturers, publishers and conventions to provide trade show models and spokes models at gaming and fandom related industry conventions across the US.
– DFW Ghostbusters, a non-profit organization that is dedicated to dealing with ghosts, goblins and the undead, all while raising money to help those in need and give back to the community. .
– Doctor Who Fan Club of Austin, a local Austin Facebook Fan Club that participates in holding watch parties, bound together by the love of Doctor Who and living the values shared as Doctor Who fans.
– Down the Road Show, a great, fun-loving, light-hearted, and professionally produced entertainment-oriented talk show that focuses on discussions about film, music, TV, food, comics, charity events, local happenings, etc., and bacon.
– Houston Ghostbusters, a fan based group focused on doing community events and charity work in costume, and whose main goal is to make a positive impact on the world through love of movies, costumes and prop making.
– Joker Blogs, a series of blogs based on a short on what may have happened to the Joker once he was carted off to Arkham Asylum.
– Lone Star Jedi, a community of fans who share a passion for sword fighting, lightsabers and are interested in the Jedi Martial Arts.
– Mandalorian Mercs Costuming Club, the world’s premier custom Mandalorian costume organization. With 35 chapters in 7 countries around the world, members of Mercs take part in a wide range of activities, including local and international conventions, charity events, and fan gatherings.
– Pendant Production Company, which since 2004 has brought more than 800 episodes of amazing audio drama! With over 10 million mp3 downloads of their full-cast productions, Pendant Audio is one of the most prolific and popular podcasting companies today.
– PurrKayla, Winner of fan-made online Superhero show, which was judged by fellow Superheroes.
– SCARE for a CURE, an Austin-based nonprofit organization that raises money for local cancer charities, “one SCREAM at a time!” Each year SCARE produces Austin’s only extreme, full contact, interactive haunted house adventure that is guaranteed to chill the depths of your soul.
– Sith Shadow Council of Texas, a fan based Star Wars group. We dress-up, perform and participate in many events and charities within Texas and the San Antonio area.
– The Steam Engine Intrepid, a renegade steampunk group out of San Antonio Texas but with scouts in other cities, which prefers to travel by rail because the thought of an airship sickens our leader the Dark Professor.
– USS Azrael, the only correspondence chapter of Starfleet International in Louisiana, part of Starfleet the International Star Trek fan club, with members all over the state and afar. The Chapter is unique that it is designed for the busy person still wanting to enjoy Fun, Family, and Friendship in a Sci-Fi environment.
– USS Navras, a correspondence chapter of Starfleet, The International Star Trek Fan Association, Inc.– meaning that men, women, and children from all over the world can actively join and participate.
– USS Zavala, a chapter of Starfleet, the oldest continuously operating Star Trek fan organization in the world. Zavala is dedicated to the ideals of diplomacy, justice, and the pursuit of knowledge espoused in the Star Trek genre.
– WGTR “World Grand Theft Radio,” the nationwide internet radio station No. 1 worldwide Halloween radio station in Sept & Oct. With over 30 original shows a week live, “our mission to make your on air dreams come true!”
Wizard World Austin Comic Con features stars Hayden Panettiere, Adam Baldwin, James Marsters, Juliet Landau and Charisma Carpenter among dozens of celebrities and industry professionals celebrating the best in pop-fi, pop culture, movies, graphic novels, comics, toys, video gaming, television, sci-fi, gaming, original art, collectibles, contests and more.
Austin Comic Con is the ninth and final stop on Wizard World’s 2011 North American tour. Hours are Friday, November 11, 4 – 7 p.m.; Saturday, November 12, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.; and Sunday, November 13, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Tickets are available in advance online at http://www.wizardworldcomiccon.com/austin.html at a savings over tickets purchased at the door. Advance adult single-day tickets are priced at $25 ($35 on site); weekend all-session tickets are $45 ($55 on site), and tickets are free for children age 10 and under when accompanied by a paid adult (limit two children per adult). VIP packages with special entry and exclusive items are also available on a limited basis.
About Wizard World:
Wizard World produces Comic Cons and pop culture conventions across North America that celebrate graphic novels, comic books, movies, TV shows, gaming, technology, toys and social networking. The events often feature celebrities from movies and TV, artists and writers, and events such as premieres, gaming tournaments, panels, and costume contests. Wizard World also produces Wizard World Digital, an online publication covering new and upcoming products and talents in the pop culture world, and is distributed on a weekly basis to online and iPad users worldwide.
The full event schedule can be found at www.wizardworld.com.
***** SAVE THE 2011/12 DATES *****
November 11-13 – Austin Comic Con
January 28-29, 2012 – New Orleans Comic Con
April 14-15, 2012 – Toronto Comic Con
June 1-3, 2012 – Philadelphia Comic Con
August 9-12, 2012 – Chicago Comic Con
September 29-30, 2012 – Mid-Ohio Comic Con
TBD, 2012 – Big Apple Comic Con